March 31, 2009

Educare-Africa and Me




In every thing, let’s give thanks to God. For he made us to Love, serve and praise Him always. It is only when we trust in Him and feel His presence that we know that God is as good as good can be. The key of the Lord can open all doors.
I am Kiven Yuntir Ethel a third year student in the University of Yaoundé 1, in the faculty of arts , letters and social sciences , department of Psychology, 24 years of age and a mother of a girl, Frida Micheal. I am the only child in the family of late Mr. and Mrs. Ngoran Avitus.
I started my secondary education is G.S.S. Tatum in 1996 in form one B where Madam Pavla Zakova-Laney happened to be the Class mistress. Our class was called the chosen class because of the privileges we enjoyed as a result of her being our class mistress.
It all started gradually when she discovered that students could barely afford basic school needs. She then took this as a personal engagement to give us exercise books, pens, pencils, rulers, textbooks especially in biology which was the subject she taught. In form one she took us to The Ndu Tea Estate for a field trip that was mostly done by form five students, in form two we went to Lake Oku where most of us saw a lake for the first time. In forms three we went out of the North West region to Buea, Limbe and Douala, very important towns in Cameroon. This was the most enjoyable trip out of the others because most of us saw the beach, entered a bus and saw some big towns in our country for the first time. Along side these trips, Madam Pavla continued to assist many students with their needs and even paid school fees and part of their rents. It was from this her caring character that she founded Educare-Africa. Educare-Africa has done much for me (paid part of my fees, provided me with writing materials, clothing...) and because of this support I did so well in school that I received many encouragement prizes at the end of each year. When madam Pavla usually gave prizes to the first 3 to 10 best students in each class, I also received scholarships from the Cameroon government and the American government to the best female student. The Joy and success club and the dance club which she also founded where a source of joy to me.
When I completed high school I had no means to continue my education, as a result of that I stayed out of school for a year. I was full of joy when the then coordinator of Educare-Africa came to me and asked me to go to the teacher’s training college. I could not at the time due to limited funds, but later I received assistance from Mr. Libor Krupica, a kind donor. Thanks to this support I could pay my fees and do other school preparations. During my stay in this college, Educare-Africa assisted me with rents, part of food, daily needs, books, and teaching aides. Our principal knew the good intentions of Educare-Africa, and so assisted me some times in school as well. Upon completion from this school, I was given the golden opportunity to go to the university thanks to my kind sponsor Mr. Krupica through Educare-Africa. I made the choice to study Psychology which is in line with the teaching a child. Since 2006 I have been in Yaoundé where I am now in the final year to have a first degree in Psychology.
Thanks to Educare-Africa I obtained my G.C.E. ordinary level certificate in 2002, Advanced level certificate in 2003, Teacher’s grade one certificate in 2006 and now towards having a degree, God willing in 2009. I am really indebted to the organization, president and founder madam Pavla, and most especially to my kind sponsor Mr. Libor. I pray that more students shall have the opportunity to have such support so as to feel happy too.
May God Bless you all abundantly.
Kiven