March 30, 2009

Write Your Own Story - Part I




“If you have not had what you want, it is because you have not decided on what you want”

I am called NDZEIDZE THOMAS MAIKA. I was born on the 6th of June 1980 and the third in a family of four. By God’s grace, I am the only child from this little family to have crossed the walls of primary education. While in primary two, there was a break up in my family and my mother took the “bull by the horn” to provide for my education. My two elder sisters remained in the house after their primary education because she was not viable enough to provide for the continuation of their education. Thank God, I was fortunate to continue on the rungs of the academic ladder.
In 1996/97 (while in form three, in Government Secondary School Tatum), I caught up with someone (at the time a US Peace Corps Volunteer in Cameroon) who not only assisted me to achieve my aspirations but also acted as a role model to me because of her wonderful character and love for humanity––Madam Pavla Zakova Laney.
There was no way I could hide in the crowd because I was one of the best and first in class on academic basis. This gave me the opportunity to “gather” a large percentage of gifts she offered to the best students during the end of year graduation ceremony. The story was the same in form four but for the fact that I was elected sanitation prefect for the entire school and I rule for two years till my final year. I made eight papers at the Ordinary Level Certificate and the best student in my center. I was also awarded a ministerial prize for academic excellence.
Madam Pavla left Cameroon after my final year in secondary school. Thereafter, she formed the NGO Educare-Africa Cameroon (EDAC) dedicated to improving the learning and living conditions of needy and bright students in Cameroon.
While in high school (Government Bilingual High School Kumbo), I received substantial support from the NGO to provide for my school supplies.
The campaign on sensitization (May-July of 1999) of the rural masses on the importance of education was one striking adventure that we undertook. We visited several neighboring and distant villages. I played the raconteur in which I thrilled the crowds with stories of encouragement. We had no car but our legs, no microphones but out mouths, we walk under the rain, in the mud, we ate all kinds of foods, slept with the mosquitoes, we got tired but kept on moving just in a bit to add value to somebody’s life.

The purpose of our lives is to add value to the people of this generation and those that follow.

It was in high school that I was introduced to yet another wonderful benefactor–Dr. Brook MacNamara (a partner to the NGO). She has been no-nonsense figure in my life since then. She has been no less than a mother to me.

You can get anything you want in life if you help other people get what they want

I completed high school in June 2001, succeeding in all the four science subjects I registered for. In September of 2001, I took the TOEFL and SAT with the hope of continuing education in the U.S.A. Unfortunately, I succeeded in the SAT but not in the TOEFL. Though I spent one year at home after high school I was not deterred anyway. During this period (2001-2002), I embarked on the EDAC sensitization campaign and went on one errand or the other.
In Sept. 2002, EDAC assisted me to go to the university. Here, I was again introduced to another caring mother–––Madam Dena Palmemaysa. Mom, you put a smile in my heart!!!
The undergraduate program was one of the most exciting times in my life. I majored in Microbiology with the aim of entering into the food/animal production field.
In my third year in the university, I discovered that while I was doing great in school and receiving abundantly from the NGO, there was no group or club to cater for the increasing numbers of students under the umbrella of EDAC. I went ahead and formed EDAC Buea Branch and became the president by balloting. It was a great group indeed!!!
I graduated in 2005 with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.31 on a scale of 4.00 and the 5th in a class of 80 students.
After this I was offered a place to teach in a secondary school. However, I turn down the offer because I wanted to obtain a masters degree and because I thought I was going to distort my dream if I accepted the offer.
I was given a place to do a master program in Microbiology. However, I failed short of reaching the deadline for payment of tuition. Who knows how God does His things––Madam Dena sent the tuition several weeks after classes had begun. I was allowed to register after writing appeal letters to the Vice Chancellor. I must say the NGO had been the brain behind these beautiful strikes. Again, I settled down as adviser to EDAC Buea Branch (for three years now). I was also appointed the student coordinator of a Christian Movement called Campus Crusade for Christ with a membership of more than 60. Presently, I am the adviser in that ministry.
Though the master program has not been interesting as I expected, I look forward to defending the work in a month’s time or two.
With all the experience I have had so far and the internship with the Takui animal project (for two months), I started an animal farm (cow farm) and I am looking forward to expanding it.
While I look forward to applying to some food producing bodies in Cameroon I am also applying for scholarships to do a program in biotechnology out of Cameroon. I am still soliciting the support of my wonderful benefactors in the event of any scholarship.
I am very proud of and grateful to the BENEFACTORS under EDAC who have provided a cozy path for me to go this far and to move me from grass to grace. May the rich Lord water them even as they continue to water others. I also want to say, the sumptuous support did not only assist me but members of my family as well as others students.



LONG LIVE EDUCARE-AFRICA AND ITS BENEFACTORS!!!

Proverbs 11:24 says “One man gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want”