March 29, 2009

My Walk with Educare-Africa


I am Bongteh Grace Leinyuy , born on August 6th 1985, as 7th child to Mrs. Mbuum Josipher and late Mr. Bongteh Mumba who were both resident in Kishong. Kishong is a village in Bui Division in the North West region of Cameroon where I attended primary school and obtained the first school leaving certificate.
My parents considered sending only some of us to secondary school out of the income they got from selling some produce and coffee. While in secondary school, our needs usually out numbered the available means , but I thank God that my class mistress at the time was Mrs. Pavla Zakova-Laney who found interest in supporting excellent and needy students , providing textbooks, fees, school bags and spiritual books like daily words and organizing excursions for students.
The love she had for the students moved her to found Educare-Africa after her extended stay as peace corps volunteer in then Government Secondary School Tatum, My good performance in school and conduct permitted me to be selected for assistance and to be moved to Bamenda where I could concentrate more on studies.
In Government Bilingual High School Bamenda, Educare-Africa continued to support me in school and my brother did his best to provide food and accommodation. I got a scholarship from FESA (Female education in Science and Mathematics in Africa) and I succeeded in the maximum 11 of passed papers for the GCE ordinary level, in 2001. In 2003, I succeeded in 5 papers, which is the maximum at the advanced level GCE exams. These were already great achievements in my life thanks to Educare-Africa and my family.
Shortages of funds made me stay out of school for an academic year but because of the hard work of Educare-Africa’s founder and president, Madam Pavla Zakova-Laney, Mr. Kenneth and Mrs. Mavis Tuten decided to support me in my education through Educare-Africa. Their financial assistance permitted me to study and obtain a certificate in Data processing from Paul’s Computer institute obtaining the Prize for the best Student in Microsoft Windows, this was another step forward as computer knowledge is now very importance in the global village that the world had become.
My success in the Advanced levels and the financial assistance allowed me to register in to the University of Yaoundé 1 where I am presently studying Animal biology and in level 2. With Wildlife management as my focus, I carry out internship with the Cameroon Wildlife Aid Fund (CWAF) to gain experience while going on with my studies, thanks to the moral support and orientation of Mr. Sunjo Emmanuel, National Coordinator of Educare-Africa and to our Zoo keeper, Mr. Frederick Leydufe, among others. I hope for a brighter future and it is evident that with out the hard working staff of Educare-Africa I would not have been where I am today.
Beneficiaries of Educare-Africa and friends in their various institutions of learning, find interest in coming together to share useful ideas, some of which are; Trusting God our source of success (Joshua 1:7-8), learning to live with others regardless of our difference (temperaments) we also seek to help one another as much as we can, lessons that remain for life, God’s word is a rich source of inspiration to us. I am so glad this is possible through the Joy and success Club founded by Mrs. Pavla.
The devotion of all the staff and other benefactors is of great importance to us. I am very grateful and pray for God’s ever present love in their lives.