July 28, 2009

Educare-Africa and Me


My name is Tangko Julius Ngala, 26 years young and the son of Tangko Manases and Agnes Mangu, all late, who were residents in Douala, Cameroon.

I attended primary school in Mbot, a village in the Donga Mantung Division in the North West Region of Cameroon where I obtained my First School leaving certificate. Here I lived with some relatives while my parents went out to provide for us, including our education.

In 1996 I entered into the secondary school at G.S.S. Tatum. At that time things started changing negatively in the family and polygamy came in to break it apart. My mum was the only one struggling for all the five of us in the family. I loved studying right up to the university but the challenge here was that she started getting tired when I was still in the second year of the secondary school. God being so kind provided for us Madam Pavla Zakova-Laney, my class mistress from form one to three and Peace Corps volunteer. She was and has remained a kind loving and cheerful mother to us, thereby justifying the saying that "the Lord does everything with a reason." She provided most of the textbooks I needed to succeed and supported me financially especially in form five when the situation became critical. I was able to register, write and obtain my Ordinary level GCE in nine subjects, thanks to the support from Madam Pavla and my mum. This not withstanding, I also received a scholarship from the Cameroon Government in forms two and three for which I was very grateful too.

In 2007, I transferred to G.B.H.S. Kumbo where I continued in lower and upper sixth. My mum was able to assist me with the house rents, food and textbooks while Educare-Africa assisted me with the school fees for my two years in high school. Again, I must confirm that it was thanks to these two parties that I was able to succeed in all the 3 subjects, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology in the advanced level GCE exams.

After high school life became a nightmare. I had to stay at home for two years trying to get something doing that could help me proceed with studies but success was rare. Nevertheless, Madam Pavla and Educare-Africa came in as usual and registered me into the first year in the University of Yaounde I where I read Animal physiology with the hope of being a health care worker one day. Madam Pavla also provided spiritual booklets which together with the moral support I get from the Joy and Success Club that was also founded by her, has helped to restore my faith and hopes. Mid way in level two I lost my mum and life once again seemed too meaningless to me, but Educare-Africa continued to support me over the year and today I can boast of being in year 3, a high point toward achieving my goal.

I cannot quickly conclude that from Educare-Africa and Joy and Success Club I have only received material and financial assistance but I want to confess here that I have also been educated morally and on how to choose a career, an important feature in the life of a student.

My family and I are very grateful for what Educare-Africa has been doing to me and to other students like me. From Educare-Africa on one hand and the Joy and Success Club on the other hand, we have drawn more than one lesson about Love, devotion and encouragement. We pray God to bless Educare-Africa abundantly and give its staff long lives.

TJN